Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Dead President Day!

I slept in again and only had grapefruit and tea for breakfast. Lunch was out at CBC with grilled tomato mozzarella sandwich with fries and mayo (chips I like wt vinegar and brown sauce, and frites with mayonnaise. Ketchup (a Cantonese word, mind you) are reserved for onion rings) and beer. It was my "reward" for going out to Petco on the Cat Food Run.

My dad called yesterday and it seems the hip he broke and had pinned in November is collapsing. He's waiting for surgery to be scheduled to have the whole thing replaced. I asked him to keep me in the loop, but think I'm going to have to call a few times a week until I know the schedule. I want to go up to be there for rthe surgery, but don't know how it will effect the school schedule. I think I'll appeal to the head TA and hope she's traditional enough (she's Indian) that she'll let me beg of for family obligations.

He has no one else, really. I don't blame my sister for her estrangement, I understand it. But that leaves me and I just can't, in spite of everything, leave him to it alone. Perhaps I'm just a sap, but the fact of "Family," attitudes of the individual notwithstanding, means a lot to me.

Now I just need to find out the dates and work out transport. I think I'll see if I can bribe my aunt with a killer meal that I pay for and make.

2 comments:

edrie said...

oh man - you are dutiful indeed and it's the right thing to do. Let me know dates, maybe I can help!

Teru said...

Thanks! When he called on Sunday he didn't know yet, so who knows when things will get scheduled.