Thursday, January 29, 2009

Egg Failure

Again I managed to not soft-boil an egg. This time I cross-referenced with a late 1960s version of Joy of Cooking and I swear I did everything right, but the yolk was still firm. Maybe I need to skip the step of getting the egg to room temperature first. On source suggested running it under hot water if it came right from the 'fridge and that's what I've been doing, but maybe for too long? Could I be partially cooking it before I even start? I'll try straight from the cold next week and see how it goes.

Apart from my failure to have some good for my toast soldiers to jump in, breakfast was good. Pretty much like Tuesday's meal, but with the addition of a small glass of pineapple juice, and no marachino cherry on the grapefruit (it looks cute, but is really unnecessary.) I'm quite enjoying the feeling of a, if not quite full, but sated belly in the mornings. And it really is helping me get through the day without having to munch on everything in sight.

I made a point of going to the refectory at noon today before the Locusts descended. A very good plan, as it turned out, as I was able to get eggplant parmesan (somewhat breaded eggplant wrapped around ricotta and covered in tomato sauce) which came with a tiny side salad. I hit the salad bar for more salad, but couldn't resist the lure of the tortellini and veg in there. But I still had more veggies than the pasta, so that's a plus. And I managed 1.5 litres of water.

After I left the office, early because of this, I went to a user testing thing where there was pizza and soda. I stopped myself at 1 slice of veggie pizza (the Upper Crust does reeeeealy nice pizza) and a 20oz diet Coke. Then I hit the library as D810.W7 H66 had been found after I put a trace on it, and retired to the brew pub to read. Um, which means I had beer. MMmmmmmm... beeeer....

Dinner for me, since spouse is nowhere to be found, is hotted up "meat" loaf from Monday as a sandwich with vegan mayonnaise on homemade bread.

2 comments:

edrie said...

I HAVE IT!!!!

Talked to my mom about this last night and said - you were always able to make soft boiled eggs on teh farm why can't I get my eggs to be soft boiled even if I do the room temp then 4 minute boil rule and she said

Well I was working with real eggs, not those store bought things you get these days - I would think it is because your eggs are so small. The ones from the farm were even bigger then the extra large ones

her way of doing things these days

Take one egg right out of fridge and put it in a small pot of cold water, put on stove and bring to boil, shut off burner and let sit for 3 minutes, take top off egg and dip toast in what is supposed to be a cooked but not hard boiled center

we'll see....

Teru said...

I noticed the smallness too! When I had chickens their eggs always maxed out the egg scale (yes, I had an egg scale). Your mom's instructions sound like what Roger was telling me on Friendface too.