Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Begining Again (again)

This is the third time I've started this blog. I deleted over 400 old posts to begin fresh (hence the new blog title as well), although it might have been nice to keep some of them around. Some were actually funny (I do occasionally have a sense of humor). When I last started, I weighed almost 20 pounds less than I do now. It was odd to see how much I was stressing when I had gained a pound or two and had gone back up to something like 140.

I'm at 185.5 now and my poor diet (well, a large contributing factor) landed me in the hospital this weekend. I had three gallstone attacks in three days, one lasting seven hours. At the beginning of the third one, when I still didn't know what it was, but was beginning to suspect, I called my health center and they suggested the ER. Once in, they ran some blood tests and stopped looking at my gallbladder: it was my liver that was more of a concern.

Long story short, there was jaundice and liver inflammation, which at this point looks most likely to have been obstruction jaundice caused by the gallstones. I feel fine and have had one, hopefully last, blood test today to check things out, but I really need to make a change. My doctor was asking me to think about surgery today and I just don't want to go that route unless I absolutely have to. So, the Divine Miss E suggested we get back to doing our food blogs, and here I am.

I don't think I'm going to go back on something like Weight Watchers, at least not right away. I need to start by just being mindful of what I'm putting in my body and try to shift closer to a vegan diet. I've been joking that the gallbladder is a PETA plot to turn everyone vegan (just kidding, I like you guys, really!), but it's better than being back in the hospital, feeding the nest of vampires twice a day.

Wish me luck.

No comments: